Re: 25" Amplifone Brightness Problem

From: Gregory S . Erway <gerway_at_redcom.com>
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:11:49 EST

Wow! I have some good stuff to go on now.

1) Forgot to mention that the diode was put in backwards for the -24v
    voltage regulator. -32v showed up. Possibly my VR is bad?
2) The 4001 diode that was in backwards was tested and was .56v in one
    direction. I have extra so I'll just replace this anyways.
3) The guy that was using my DMM to test these regulated voltages told
    me today that he accidently shorted pin 2 and 3 together the first time
    he tried to test +24v. He then figured out to test at other points on
    the trace farther away from each other. The test then showed +26.5v.
    Sounds good. Should I replace this VR just in case?
4) I followed the Michael Kelley FAQ that didn't mention something found on
    another "How To Install a new HV" FAQ. That other FAQ mentions putting
    down black electrical tape below the new HV unit to insulate it from the
    pads and traces (the new HV unit is a metal case). I have the smaller
    beige board so had to put the HV at an angle to keep it off the hard to
    find 1500 diode nearby. The HV unit does slightly overlap the mounting
    base of the focus assembly. I should really insulate this if I can.
5) I need to check to make sure my neck socket is on the correct pins.

I really hope whatever I did didn't ruin anything beyond repair!

Any other suggestions based on this information?

Greg