Re: 25" Amplifone Brightness Problem

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:29:04 EST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:11:49 -0500, you wrote:

>2) The 4001 diode that was in backwards was tested and was .56v in one
> direction. I have extra so I'll just replace this anyways.

        But did it show "open" (infinite resistance) in the other direction?

        It probably can't hurt to replace it on general principles (1N4001's
aren't exactly rare and precious items!), but just for future reference:
It's been my experience that power-rectifier diodes, such as the 1N4001,
tend to show a lower junction voltage when tested with a DMM than the 0.7V
you'd normally expect from a small-signal diode or transistor - so 0.56V
doesn't necessarily mean the diode is bad, as long as it remains open in
the other direction. (Now if you start seeing junction voltages <0.3V, you
may have a problem - unless you're dealing with a Schottky diode! :) )