Cinematronics Tant Caps, "Russian" Star Castle??

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 00:20:27 EST

Hello,

     I was able to get Star Casle up and running for about an hour. Then, the
screen seemed to stretch upwards and went blank. Then, my -25 breaker went.
After inspecting the display board, I noticed C4 was blown (2.2uf 35v tant).
I am waiting for replacement caps to arrive.
          Would (or could) this cap take the -15v reg with it? Also, when
they fail, could it kill my dac(s) or the LF13331? I have a Dick Smith ESR
cap tester. I want to compare ratings of old Tant caps to new ones to see if
older ones give any indication of dying. I'll post my results, but I have no
idea if tant caps show any ESR changes when they are tired.
     I have one boardset that is working fine, the other seems to be in
Russian, with very wierd looking vectors and garbled letters (see pic). Any
idea what I should check on the "Russian" boardset? I know the problem is in
the logic board, and not the monitor. I do not have a Cinematronics
Excorcisor, but maybe somebody who does has seen this before? I do have an
HP5004A and a CAT box, perhaps someone knows where I should be checking
signatures?
     The other pics show C4 blown, and a wierd looking AMD Dac80. Has anyone
used the AMD flavor of DAC80? I was told these are supposed to be stronger
than the B/B DAC80.
     Here is a link to some pics showing the blown cap C4, the "russian" S.C.
boardset, and the AMD DAC80.

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/mkdud/cinemon/russiansc.jpg">
http://members.aol.com/mkdud/cinemon/russiansc.jpg</A>

Any help would be appreciated!