Re: Replacement for WG 6100 HV Transformer

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 03:24:46 EST

> In a message dated 3/21/2002 11:37:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> joe.bachmann@newmail.net writes:
>
> << Also, which deflection PCB is more reliable? The amplifone or the 6100?
>>

> IMO, the Amplifone is MUCH better, allthough a WG with Jeff & Anders
LV2000
> can be pretty reliable. You can also make a WG alot more reliable by
> following John Robertson's tips on making your grounding better - ground
> connections to the transformer assembly (power supply trans) can get
pretty
> cruddy. Allways make sure your connections are clean - the bolts can get
> rusty, increasing resistance. Ch eck and replace as needed.

can i just confirm this...

to make the ground reference all round, the transformer block, the monitor
cages and game board (GND) all need to be tied together properly?

I am maintaining 4 vectors at an exhibition in central London (as well as 20
other raster classics) they will be running for 8 hours a day, 7 days a
week.. its a tall order i know, but i'm confident i can run round fixing
things as they break.. Any preventitive maintenance that i come across will
be put into practise...

in the past i have found that 'jump leads' for +5v and GND between the AR2
and pcb have helped a great deal, by utilising the test points, flat spade
connector things either end of a medium gague wire has helped maintain a
decent voltage level with virtually no drop, this eliminates smoking edge
connectors full stop, the inside of the cab might look a little untidy, but
i'm going for effectiveness not tidyness :)

if i could just extended the GND 'jump lead' up to the monitor, and down to
the power brick sounds liek a good idea.. i have however always been wary of
hooking earth to chassis ground after an incident with a raster monitor
where i did the same with disasterous results :)

Andy