Amplifone: Replacing MC1

From: Joe Bachmann <joe.bachmann_at_newmail.net>
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 23:27:06 EST

All,

I had a HV board here without an MC1 on. So, with the knowledge of what Zonn
had put into the Amplifone FAQ I decided to try something to replace MC1.

Now having a few old Pac filter boards lying around I removed 3 of the coils
off the board. I soldered this together in a triangle end to end:

  /\
 / \
-----

After this, I placed it into the MC1 position just as above. This gives you one
coil with two in parallel with it. The HV assembly I used was otherwise working
with a real MC1.

I placed this into a Star Wars cabinet and it came right up! My HV was HIGHER
than with a real MC1 - 20kv vs 19.5kv. After adjusting this down, I played a
few games of Star Wars. After turnign off the machine, I was very suprised to
find that my HV board seemed to be running cooler than with a regular MC1. Now,
I will need to test this in the long time and be sure it last 8-16 hours
straight.

JB