Re: supplying power to a color vector monitor

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 18:54:48 EDT

I just sent this email to Neil, but maybe it would be useful for someone else as
well, so I'll post it here also...

---------------
As for the Space Duel monitor, it's a WG6401 and it uses a 50 VAC center
tapped transformer, which is the huge transformer sitting on the power supply
block on the bottom of the Space Duel cabinet.

They're probably a bit hard to come by. However two separate 24v standard
transformers wired correctly work just fine. These can be picked up at about
any surplus store. If you get lucky you might find a 48v C.T. which would work
just as well as the Atari 50v C.T., and is a more common voltage.

The current usage I think is around 5 amps. (I believe there are 6 amp fuses on
the monitor). So any two 24vac transformers that put out at least 5amps (they
should be matching transformers) would work, as well as a 48v CT 5A+
transformer. Higher current transformers will run cooler.

If you can find an old 24v 5amp+ linear power supply block, (Like Condor or
Power-One) the transformers in them also work great. They always used a
higher voltage transformer than their output voltage, and were always overrated
for the current output, and always used a C.T. configuration for their high
current supplies, so one of these transformers would be ideal.

Don't be fooled by a mis-marked transformer, any transformer meeting these
spec's will be hefty.

If you need to wire together two 24v transformers do this:

          24v C.T. 24v

           | | |
           | | |
           | +-+-+ |
           | | | |
           ()()() ()()()
           ====== ======
           ()()() ()()()
            | | | |
            | | | |

(Not a bad asciimatic eh? ;-)

Wire up the AC sides, then connect the 24 volt sides as shown. You should
measure ~48vac across the two 24v lines. If you get ~0v, reverse the 24v leads
of one of the transformers.

Once setup, do not change the orientation of the 24v leads *OR* the AC leads.

This setup works fine and uses easy to find transformers.

-Zonn