RE: Monitor drying?

From: Bret Pehrson <bret_at_infowest.com>
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 22:36:31 EDT

Pure water is an insulator, so there isn't really *that* much concern
for a short.

After drying, blow out the excessive water w/ compressed air and let it
sit overnight -- that should be sufficient. Drying in an oven, etc. is
a waste of time and can just lead to more problems. Turn all pots as
you are blowing dry (mark pot position as necessary beforehand to
restore original settings). Disconnect the anode cup and blow out the
hole as well.

I recommend against washing in a dishwasher just because you don't want
lead-based solder contaminating your dish water, and the hot water has a
tendency to cause boards (specifically the flux film) to turn whitish.
I also wouldn't leave simple green on for that long, no need, and you
run the risk of etching some of the plastics. 10-20 minutes usually is
more than enough time.

Finally, when dorking w/ monitors, cleaning or otherwise, be smart and
wear safety glasses (and gloves when handling the CRT).