RE: Star Wars Amplifone Flyback

From: Bret Pehrson <bret_at_infowest.com>
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 19:04:55 EDT

Yep, you should replace the red HVT, regardless of its current
condition.

As of this writing, there isn't any other source for replacement HVTs
other than Wintron. Some have cobbled together a one-off work-around
using a misc. parts. Several sources have also 'committed' to creating
a limited production alternative solution, however this is still in the
R&D stage.

Now, even though I applaud those that are embarking on alternatives,
their efforts, and their assistance to the community at large, I feel
that such 'workbench' production HVT units are a bad idea for a number
of reasons, and should be avoided when there is a viable, tried and
tested source such as Wintron. My main concern is over safety -- I just
personally don't feel the same level of safety using a workbench
solution over a component built/supplied from a known commercial
manufacturer.

I agree, $190 is a lot for a single component, however from what I've
heard regarding pricing of some of the alternative solutions, those may
be in the $150-range, so not a tremendous difference in price.
Additionally, I think that any $$ saved in a workbench solution would be
lost in the overall devaluation of the game.

So, my advice is to simply order the Wintron unit, realizing that the
value of your game increases accordingly.

Good luck