Re: Question regarding 19K6100 HV Transformer....

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_sisna.com>
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 23:07:23 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stempak Arcadius-ASTEMPA1" <ASTEMPA1@motorola.com>
To: <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Cc: "Stempak Arcadius-ASTEMPA1" <ASTEMPA1@motorola.com>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 7:56 PM
Subject: VECTOR: Question regarding 19K6100 HV Transformer....

> All,
> ****
>
> Have a Curious more than anything else,
> type of Question, as I myself have not
> witnessed such an event in the past.
>
> The other day I was working on (Repairing)
> the HV Cage from my Old X/Y -- 19K6100 Monitor.
>
> When turning the Cage Upside Down, to expose
> the bottom of the PCB I noticed a click, or
> at least what sounded like a click. I then
> flipped the Cage over and heard this click
> again.
>
> Hmmmm..... well it appears that the Ferrite Core
> (if that is what is) inside the HV Transformer
> is loose and tends to move, side to side.
>
> Question is, what if any impact does this have
> to the life expectancy of the HV Transformer itself ???
>
> Also is this normal, or did this happen due to age ???

I see this a LOT. In fact, I have seen several where the core has
rotted/decayed so much that whatever the rod screws into is just gone; the
rod falls out if you turn it upside down. I just RTV it into place and I've
never seen one die from it (although all of mine get light use). It can't
be "good" but doesn't appear to be "bad". Besides; what choice do you have?