ZVG: new vector possibilities

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_ele-mental.org>
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 17:07:06 EDT

What excites me most about the ZVG is the opportunities it
presents as a platform for developing *new* games. I mean, check
the specs!

. Draws 2 to 3 times more lines as existing hardware in the same
time frame, on average;

. 65,536 possible colors per line; (plus changing color *along*
the line?)

But, the real kicker: you have the full power of a desktop PC
for calculating *what* to draw. Complex 3-D scenes, *hidden line
removal*, lines that fade into the distance, curves and
ellipses, filled shapes...whoo!

Back when the movie Tron was only two years old, and Atari Star
Wars ruled the arcades, I daydreamed of a vector arcade game
that put you into the world of Tron: Racing lightcycles, busting
through the game arena wall, evading tanks and recognizers to
reach the I/O tower and receive the information needed for a
final showdown with the MCP...all rendered in 3-D color vectors.

It might just be time to dust that design off and start building it.

--
Anthony Ramos -- aramos@ele-mental.org / aramos@hyperreal.org
phone: 503.236.6303 / mobile: 503.267.3519