Re: ZVG: new vector possibilities

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 17:49:18 EDT

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:07:06 -0700, Anthony Ramos <aramos@ele-mental.org> wrote:

>What excites me most about the ZVG is the opportunities it
>presents as a platform for developing *new* games. I mean, check
>the specs!
>
>. Draws 2 to 3 times more lines as existing hardware in the same
>time frame, on average;
>
>. 65,536 possible colors per line; (plus changing color *along*
>the line?)
>
>But, the real kicker: you have the full power of a desktop PC
>for calculating *what* to draw. Complex 3-D scenes, *hidden line
>removal*, lines that fade into the distance, curves and
>ellipses, filled shapes...whoo!

Just to emphasis what Neil already said. This is a vector only generator.
There's no ability for curves. There's also no changing colors along the line.

Using smaller vectors is fine for drawing curves, though eventually, even if the
monitor might keep up, you'll hit an I/O bandwidth limit (you can't treat the
display as raster monitor, using a 1024x768 point grid and draw only points.).

Filled shapes? Now you're progressing just like the arcade designers did. Your
talking about the next logical step which was done in I, Robot.

As soon as you talk about filled shapes your talking about graphic engines in
raster displays which is what vector displays evolved into.

-ZOnn