Re: ZVG: new vector possibilities

From: Neil Bradley <nb_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 17:39:05 EDT

> presents as a platform for developing *new* games. I mean, check

New game development is what we're targeting the ZVG for. Sure, doing
emulation is kinda cool, but obviously there are only so many vector games
in existence.

> . 65,536 possible colors per line; (plus changing color *along*
> the line?)

Whoops.... no, the ZVG doesn't allow changing color while the line is
drawing. You'd have to submit a line as a bunch of smaller lines and
change the color for each line.

> But, the real kicker: you have the full power of a desktop PC
> for calculating *what* to draw. Complex 3-D scenes, *hidden line
> removal*, lines that fade into the distance, curves and
> ellipses, filled shapes...whoo!

Of course curves and ellipses would require a bunch of smaller individual
lines to make it up, but it could be done. Filled shapes? Be careful....
only if they're really small and even then you'd significantly impact the
frame rates by drawing that many individual vectors to cause a filled
shape.

> It might just be time to dust that design off and start building it.

I'm actively working on a 2D (not 3D) vector API that allows the
following:

* Groups of vector lists that can be rotated at any angle, scaled on the
X/Y size independently, inherit colors from the parent and/or have each
individual line have its own 16 bit color.

* Objects consisting of groups. Each group can be enabled/disabled. Think
of a player's ship, with one group of vectors being the ship body itself,
and each of the other groups as being the different weapons that can be
attached to the main ship.

* Collision detection - the core will let you know which vector groups
have collided so you can take specific action within your game.

* Large playfield - define the size of your playfield's universe. The
monitor is the viewport into it and you can set the size as you'd like.

* Both viewport and playfield relative positionings so it's easy to keep
things static in your viewport.

Once I get the 2D engine complete (it'll be available freely) I'll see
what I can do about extending it to 3D, though that GREATLY complicates
things.

-->Neil