Re: Battlezone G05-805 monitor blooming problem revisited

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 21:23:10 EDT

I'd recommend you solder a fairly heavy ground cable, from the
power supply (Audio/Reg board?) ground, to the game board ground,
then to the monitor ground.
It may fix it, and it won't hurt!
After soldering the cable you can put a single inline heavy duty
connector in the cables for removal if you need to.
I also connected the Audio/Reg +5V directly via a cable to the
game board, and placed a 5V6 5W zener across the Audio/Reg
+5V and GND for overvoltage failure protection.
When the Audio/Reg fails, or voltage rises from bad power connections,
it will fry your boards by injecting about 12V at high current into
the 5V rails. The 5V6 zener takes it instead and blows the fuse.

I know it helped my Star Wars a lot, the old edge connectors and
connectors aren't the best, and when the monitor or board loads
up the power supply (like a bright screen or large vectors), the
voltage drop increases between the board and monitor, causing an
offset or wobble of the X, Y and Z signals being communicated
from the game board to the monitor.

Cheers,

Marc