Re: Cinematronics > Atari Adapter???

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 12:53:56 EDT

Tom McClintock wrote:

>Well get right on that Rodger! :)
>
>Seriously, I was under the impression that the settling time for the DAC was
>determined more by the DAC than subsequent Op-Amps. The DAC7541 seems to have a
>settling time of 30 m sec, while the DAC-80s (or DAC7580) have settling times
>around 4 m sec.

Not sure where you got the 30 mS spec, the only settling times listed on
the DAC7541 spec sheet are .6 uS typical for the output CURRENT to
settle to .5 LSB. The opamp that's doing the current to voltage
conversion will be the speed limiter. VOLTAGE output DACs are
notoriously slower than current output DACs.

>Unfortunately, even if the DAC was $11 each, you need two, plus the supporting
>hardware so your cost is running about $35 in parts alone (gotta include those
>connectors). A finished PCB would add another $10 or so. This gets into the
>realm of what a Cine monitor board costs (well, usually on the high end as most
>operators don't want these monitors at all).
>
>But I agree a 'new' Cine->WG conversion board would be really cool. What's the
>cheapest way to go with this?

The cheapest way? Build your own R-2R array and don't even buy the
DACs. The way Cinematronics draws vectors (capacitor integration) you
really don't need an accurate DAC. Probably don't even need 12 bits.
 All you're generating are start points and "end points" (not really end
points, more like "it goes thisaway" points). A bumpy DAC won't matter
because it doesn't draw the line in between the points.