Re: unknown Sega/Gremlin G-80 sound? board

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 10:30:50 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <vector@hawkmountain.net>
To: <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: VECTOR: unknown Sega/Gremlin G-80 sound? board

> OK, here is a web page I threw together of the G-80 boards I am trying
> to identify, with all unique identifying information and pictures I can
> provide.
>
> Any help identifying these, identifying missing chips (in the case of
three
> chips across two boards), etc would be greatly appreciated.

Your assessment of the boards appears to be correct.

Board 1: yes, it is a Space Odyssey sound board (I'm getting the feeling you
don't trust my judgement); I just found one in my junk pile :-). IC39 is a
74LS30N. If you want this board, let me know.

Board 2: Backscene hardware for Space Odyssey. Yes, it should have 10
eproms, Eproms labeled 8-19. Sorry, don't know what the chips are.

Board 3: It is a video board used on the Sega Raster games. Astroblaster,
Space Odysseey, and according to the manual, 005 used this video board.
Monster Bash specifies a different board number, but it is simply a
differently configured version of this board (and probably uses VIC
replacement board; a board which is a daughter board that replaces the
custom chip in the lower right). It would be news to me if Astro Fighter
used this hardware. I've had 30 or so of these video boards from misc
raster games; they all appear to be the same (+ or - VIC daughter board).
However, there may be a slight configuration difference between some of them
(maybe a jumper change somewhere). Basically; it's a raster video board; it
may or may not be configured for Space Odyssey. (just like how all the
speech boards appear to be the same, but some are jumpered differently for
use with 2716s or 2732s.)

Board 4: Space Oddessey PROM board, version 1

--
Mark Jenison