RE: Major Havoc ... missing Quad-Pokey

From: Bret Pehrson <bret_at_infowest.com>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 15:46:30 EST

*Definitely* not fully working -- this is a required component of the
gameboard. Find out from the seller what the deal is.

There are two possible components that can be used in this socket and are
essentially the same thing, just different form factors.

Quad-pokey -- this is a single component ('chip') (4 pokeys on a single
'chip'). Original Atari design, however if one of the pokeys fail, you have
to replace the entire component. For this reason, and others, Atari came up
w/ the next alternative.

Quad-pokey eliminator -- this is a small board that has 4 sockets on it, for
4 single pokey chips. Since the pokeys are socketed, if one chip goes bad,
you can replace just that chip.

I prefer the quad pokey over the eliminator as I think it looks cleaner, and
the eliminator board, unless screwed to the mainboard, has a tendency to
wiggle loose as you move the game around or open/close the back door (if the
gameboard is mounted to the back door).

Neither is particularly easy to find, however Scott Evans was selling both
at one time (last I heard, about 6 months ago, he was out of the eliminators
but had the quad pokeys).

Later