Re: Obse Asteroids

From: Mark Shostak (DOS) <shostak_at_augustmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 14:41:14 EST

> > If you're saying you put a different monitor in altogether and the other
> > monitor works, I'd start at the HV supply. The Z axis uses B+ from the
> > HV, which would explain your "retrace" lines. Low HV would explain the
> > blooming. Check your supply voltages.
>
> I almost am afraid to ask, but how do I check the low HV? I don't think my
> meter goes up that high.

Just like you used to test 9V batteries when you were a kid. ;-)
(Disclaimer, anyone who thinks I was serious... actually, go ahead.
If this doesn't get you, something else WILL.)

If you don't have an HV probe, the easiest thing to do is check the video B+.
It will be proportional to the HV. It will also be <200VDC, so your meter
should go that high with no problem.

> Frankly, I know exactly nothing about monitors. Obviously rechecking the
> connections is a good idea...

Well, as the Midway cpu service manual actually says, just take two asperin,
the schematics, and...

> Me too. Is this easy to fix? Are parts still available?

Easy is relative. We'll wait for the next post to speculate.
Also, you haven't really mentioned what monitor we're talking about,
so advise is all abstract.

-Mark