Asteroids Deluxe weird problem

From: Steve C <stevec_at_unix.beige.org>
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 23:45:34 EST

Hi, I have an Ast. Deluxe that works, but the brightness is all weird. If
you turn the controls all the way down to where its a black screen, and
then slowly turn the pot on the monitor up, the first thing that appears
is the spot in the middle..

If you keep ramping it up, the spot gets real bright, and the proper game
vectors show up. The game vectors look great and stable, but that spot is
there and cant be gotten rid of.

Usually, on a properly working game, the first thing that appears when
turning the brightness up is the game vectors.. then if you keep turning
up the brightness, the spot and interconecting vectors show up. Mine works
the other way around!

I know the problem is on the game board because I moved the game board to
another game I have, a working Asteroids, and the problem showed up there
as well. I also unplugged the Asteroids Deluxe monitor and plugged another
working monitor into it, and the problem was on that 3rd monitor as well!

Any ideas on that? The Z-Blank circuit maybe? I noticed that the output
voltage seems to fluctuate some but seems to be pretty high, around 4
volts or so.

Regards,
Steve Collet