RE: Connector on HV Focus wire?

From: Fish, David <David.Fish_at_axcelis.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 11:14:35 EST

>Typically connectors have a current and voltage rating.

True

>The current is limited by the pins amperage capacity.

True also

>The voltage is limited by the arcing strength which happens during a live
>insertion/extraction of the connector from a working circuit.

I don't believe that that is the only factor in selecting a connector. The
dielectric strength of the connector housing plays a large part in the
selection. The dilectric withstanding voltage spec for the connector must
be higher than the potential difference between two adjacent circuits.
In this case (Faston spade lug) if the connector was right next to any part
of the chassis (Ground) the insulator would most likely breakdown and a
short,
or at least an arc would occur.

If I were to add an in-line connector I'd use a part like an AMP 350865-1
plug
and 350866-1 cap. The DWV for these is spec'ed at 10KVDC. The 24AWG
pins/sockets
are rated for 1.5A, way more than enough.

Now that I think of it, I'm going to order a few samples of these.

Dave