Re: Connector on HV Focus wire?

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 10:52:40 EST

According to my trusty G08 manual, there is a 10.3KV line passing out of the
HVT and through the focus assembly. Perhaps reduced a bit by the resistors in
the focus assembly. Dunno. I have no idea what the actual current through the
focus wire is.

10.3KV seems to be a bit high for any connector that I've ever seen. However, I
did receive an e-mail from a 'mystery' vectorcolelctor, and he suggested the
following:

---------------------------
Typically connectors have a current and voltage rating.
The current is limited by the pins amperage capacity.
The voltage is limited by the arcing strength which happens during a live
insertion/extraction of the connector from a working circuit.

 I would think there would be no issue adding a connector or spade connector in
the focus wire as long as,

1. wire is rated for the current
2. connector is rated for the current
3. the connector is never inserted/extracted when the HV is working

Does that sound about right to those of you with the EE degrees?

tm