Re: Equipment selection

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_xmission.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 11:48:25 EST

I'm partial to Metcal equipment. There is always a ton of metcal
equipment available on ebay. www.metcal.com But this isn't a holy
war. I chose mine because the company I work for uses Metcal equipment.

I use the MX-500 base station with the Desoldering gun (DS-1). Very
awesome. Note that you need shop air (80psi as I remember) for it.
I've also got the Talon assembly. Plus a rm3e handle with several tips.

For work all the stuff I work with is SMT. For "real work" (games) most
of what I do is thruhole.

The technology for metcal is interesting. The tips handle the temperature
regulation. And the base unit provides energy via RF. So when I'm working
on pinball coils I use a big tip and the unit pumps out more then enough
power to easily melt the solder. (I do have a weller gun just in case.. :)

Kurt