RE: Re: Jumpy Star Wars Fixed / Degaussing Help Anybody?

From: Martin White <martin_at_guddler.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 09:51:05 EST

Something that I don't think has come up so far...

Regardless of how you end up solving your problem, the easiest way to
determine if the internal degaussing coil is operating is to disconnect
the plug and connect a voltmeter to the socket instead.

Power the monitor up from cold and you should see a reading of 240v AC
(110v if you're in the US) reducing rapidly to zero (over say 1 to 2
seconds). If you DO see this, then check for continuity of the coil
itself, if you also have continuity then your coil is working and just
not man enough for the job at hand.

If you don't have continuity, obviously, replace the coil. If you don't
have line voltage dropping rapidly to 0v, then you have a suspect
positor, or other degaussing circuit components. EASY.

I've only done this on raster stuff, but I suspect the circuits are
pretty much identical, and they only contain a few components (off hand,
a positor, capacitor and a couple sockets).

Job done!

Martin.

[SNIP]