Cinematronics monitor: no horizontal intensity?

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_sisna.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 02:17:03 EST

I have a monitor in a Space Wars with a strange problem I can't wrap my
brain around. I have perfect +/- Horizontal *deflection* as well as perfect
+/- Vertical deflection. All vectors are the proper size, position and
shape. The problem is that the horizontal intensities are 0. Now I know
there's no horizontal intensity; there's only a merged/vector intensity.
But that fact is EXACTLY what is freaking me out! I know the problem is in
the monitor as I have another that works fine. If I can just figure out HOW
such a symptom might be generated, I'm sure I'll narrow in on it
immediately. The problem is primarily lack of experience; I've only ever
had *deflection* problems (never even HV on these guys). I just can't
understand how I'd get an intensity issue only for horizontal when the
intensity is a shared signal. For example, if I coin up 4:30, the display
*should* look like this:

| | --| |--|
|--| : --| | |
   | --| |--|

but instead looks like this where all horizontal lines look like dots on the
endpoints (maybe just 1 end):

   | . | | |

Additionally, it appears that whenever the vector has more VERTICAL than
horizontal it has the proper intensity (as I recall Space War/s only used
on/off, not high/low/off) but whenever the verctor has more HORIZONTAL than
verticale, the intensity is 0. Unfortunately all chips are socketed. Any
ideas?