Re: G08_105 manual

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 14:57:24 EDT

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:01:55 -0400, Jon Raiford <raiford@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have to agree that b&w is best for text only pages. Anything that has images should be done w/ greyscale with a lower resolution. Schematics are best handled on a case by case basis. I've seen way too many scans that don't show the level of detail needed even when the source was decent. Of course, some of the original schematics out there are crap and theres nothing you can do about it :) I'm also a little anal about cleaning up the edges to make sure the manuals print nicely and don't look like bad copies. I'm also against having separate tiff files for everything. I'm a big believer in pdf files, although you do need to play with the settings in Acrobat to prevent it from degrading the resolution on the scans when you don't expect it. Just my humble 2¢..

I agree, I like PDFs and PDFs can be told to compress using CCITT FAX 4 for B&W
and a variety of other compression techniques for grayscales (for pictures etc.)
Though TIFF's can also be packaged into one multipage file, similar to PDFs.

One thing I've always done with my schematic captures is to capture them as a
8x10.5 inch image. This allows printers a 1/4 inch margin on all sides and
allows the capture to be printed actual size. 8.5x11 inch captures that are
normally done, must be shrunk to fit within the margins of a normal printer,
before printing, so you do not have an actual size image when printed.

I've never found a manual or 8.5x11 schematic that didn't have at least a .25"
margin around it, so I've never lost anything because of this.

-Zonn