Re: When 2114s fail

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 21:43:23 EDT

My experience with 2114 failures has generally been data lines stuck low,
and in the case of my Return Of the Jedi, I observed garbled sprites.

Fortunately for Defender, your RAM is socketed. You can move the RAM around
to see if the symptoms change without buying any parts. Certainly, a good
step would be to scope the address and data lines pre and post bus
drivers/buffers to look for any stuck signals. If you do find a stuck line,
at least you know you are in the right area.

You'd think our community would have coded a ROM with a set of test vectors
to put each of our motherboards through a series of tests... Maybe some
folks have done exactly this for some of the more common games? Basically,
if we wrote a Power On Self Test for a given microprocessor and tweaked it
for a given memory map, it would go a long way towards testing out the basic
health of our machines. My understanding is that the CAT boxes would offer
similar services, but in the absence of a CAT box, a test ROM would go a
long way.

Joel-