Re: More Star Wars HV problems, help please?

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 23:49:51 EDT

I've gotta say it sounds like the sensible thing to send the HVT
back to Wintron to be sure.
Probably a shorted turn from the HV output back to the B+ out.

Looking at the schematics it could be the seperate focus block
though as a long shot, so if you can check and/or replace the focus block that
would be about the last thing to test.
The focus block is the feedback loop from the bottom of the HV winding
back to the overvoltage detection circuit, and is also the ground path from
the HVT output.
You could short the connection between the HVT to the focus block directly to
GND as a test, you won't get a picture, but if the HVT still makes
noise you'll know it's the HVT.

Is the DAG GND connection good from the HV board to the tube and wiring?
It's the final grounding path from the HVT and focus block, through the
HV overvoltage adjust pot.

Have you replaced the W1 jumper with wire?

HVT's do fail sometimes regardless of age, there's a lot of high voltage
there to break a minor production fault.

Do you have a HV probe? When the noise is going are you getting any voltage out of the HVT?

Cheers,

Marc