Re: Lunar Lander help

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 21:04:55 EDT

After reading Commander Dave's LL back door sheet that describes the self
test procedure, I realized that I was running the test incorrectly. I had
powered up the game with the self test pin grounded, but the back door sheet
says to enable self test after the game has been powered up. If I run self
test after powering up the game, the full self test runs and I get the
indicated video display, just like what Dave Fish decribed. If I enable
self test prior to power up, the self test starts at the second stage, and
no video is displayed. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but that's
my story and I'm sticking to it. Fortunately, the game continues to behave
itself right now, but I can't rule out flaky 4016's. It will be interesting
to see how long it lasts in this condition before reverting back to the
defective state.

Thanks to each of you who provided feedback.

Regards,
Joel-

> > I'm still wondering about the self test. Does anyone know if LL self
test
> > is supposed to generate any video?
>
> You're not seeing a cross-hatch becaue there is not suppose to be one.
> When you put the game into self-test mode you will get SOME text on
> the screen however. The manual says that you should see 'ROM OK'
> in the upper left, I see numbers (9 10 11 12) there instead. In the
> upper-middle area is 'XXX FUEL UNITS PER COIN' (XXX is
> a number set via the options switch). Under that a number is shown that
> represents your coin multiplier. Somewhat below is a two digit hexidecimal
> number that represents the thrust value.
> The self test also cycles through four thrust sounds and blinks the
MISSION