Re: Bug: Battlezone high score rendering

From: Scott Brasington <arcade_at_brasington.org>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 17:40:26 EDT

>From what I can tell in MAME (I don't own a BZ board), the bzone roms
display up to 10 tanks after each score, but in MAME only 7.5 - 8 are
visible before it is clipped. I could not get it to cause a noticible
problem in MAME, but I only just let it run through attract mode.
It would only be one byte of opcode to change the max number of tanks
displayed.

The bzone2 roms appear to only display ONE tank max next to the score.
And with the bzone2 roms the hs table is slanted. (bzone roms are straight).

Interesting, the game has HS space reserved for 3 bytes per score
(max score 999,999,000), however, the code to display the scores,
increment the scores etc... only uses 2 bytes (max 9,999,000).
Can people score more than 9,999,000 points, as in, is extended
scoring needed?