Re: Tip: Bench Testing a WG HV Unit with a Single Ended Pwr Supply

From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <vector_at_hawkmountain.net>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 19:14:35 EDT

If you don't have a tube connected to the HV, how do you deal with the HV,
or do you just leave it disconnected, and away from anything it could
arc to ?

I've never dared to power up monitor HV without having something to
connect it to.

-- Curt

>From: "Mark Shostak (DOS)" <shostak@augustmail.com>
>To: <vectorlist@vectorlist.org>
>Subject: VECTOR: Tip: Bench Testing a WG HV Unit with a Single Ended Pwr Supply
>Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:20:53 -0500
>
>Disclaimer:
>
>1) Don't mess with an HV unit unless you know what you are doing, um-K.
*Lethal* voltages are present.

>2) This was my experience, your mileage may vary. If you try it and blow
something up, don't cry to me.

>I fixed an HV unit from a WG6100 this week, but didn't have a split supply on
my bench to test with.
>As I didn't want to drag an entire monitor frame and tube onto the bench, I
needed a "better way".

>After looking at the schematics, it occurred to me that you should be able to
run this thing
>with a single ended supply. I tried it, and sure enough it worked.
>
>I simply tied V- to Gnd, and applied 35VDC across the V+ input, and the
combined V-/Gnd input.
>Total current draw was about 400ma.
>
>Be advised, this also puts 19.5KV, or in my case 26KV (yes, it had regulation
problems)
>on your bench, so take appropriate precautions.
>
>Hopefully this trick will make servicing these HV units easier for people.
>
>-Mark
>
>P.S. Does anybody know where you can find specs for the "68-2 F E" diodes (D901
& 902)?

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
vector@hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices