Tip: Bench Testing a WG HV Unit with a Single Ended Pwr Supply

From: Mark Shostak (DOS) <shostak_at_augustmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 13:20:53 EDT

Disclaimer:

1) Don't mess with an HV unit unless you know what you are doing, um-K. *Lethal* voltages are present.

2) This was my experience, your mileage may vary. If you try it and blow something up, don't cry to me.

I fixed an HV unit from a WG6100 this week, but didn't have a split supply on my bench to test with.
As I didn't want to drag an entire monitor frame and tube onto the bench, I needed a "better way".

After looking at the schematics, it occurred to me that you should be able to run this thing
with a single ended supply. I tried it, and sure enough it worked.

I simply tied V- to Gnd, and applied 35VDC across the V+ input, and the combined V-/Gnd input.
Total current draw was about 400ma.

Be advised, this also puts 19.5KV, or in my case 26KV (yes, it had regulation problems)
on your bench, so take appropriate precautions.

Hopefully this trick will make servicing these HV units easier for people.

-Mark

P.S. Does anybody know where you can find specs for the "68-2 F E" diodes (D901 & 902)?