Re: Tip: Bench Testing a WG HV Unit with a Single Ended Pwr Supply

From: <Artfromnys_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 22:02:08 EDT

Good God its only 26KV with maybe 10 ma of current - it isnt gonna kill you.
In 35 years of fixing TVs I lost track of how many times I took anode voltage
across the hand, hand to elbow, hand to other hand, erc. Quite a jolt but no
big deal.
I usually cut a slot in an empty 5x5x5 cardboard box and stick the cap in the
box with the wire coming through the slot; keeps the loose end under control
on the bench.
Good to respect it, esp in regard to arcing to PCBs, etc, but this
demonization of anode voltage is puerile. Far more dangerous is the 180 VDC or so that
hangs out in a G07 raster monitor with a blown B+ fuse, and the yoke current
in the horizontal windings will also do some damage, especially a pinhole burn
in the flesh at the point of contact and sometimes the point of exit to
ground.

Art