Re: Need a POKEY Desolder advice

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 14:34:15 EDT

I use my patented Propane Torch Method (r)(c) [;-)] of desoldering...do
this outside! Heat the underside of the board until it is a bit hot (not
smoking hot), then whack the board against something. ALL the solder is now
deposited on the item you whacked.

The chip comes out nicely with a bit of gentle pressing of the legs back
and forth in the feed-through holes with a small screwdriver - do this on
the leg where is sticks out the bottom of the PCB.

Actually if the board is heated just right, you do a double whack (patent
pending) - using Grip Pliers to hold the board, whack it first to drive off
the solder then flip it over and whack it again to pop the IC off. A little
practice to avoid getting solder film on the insides of the legs (shorting
together adjacent legs) and you will be pleased with the results.

Works very well!

John :-#)#