Re: Tempest help please!

From: mccullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 20:01:38 EDT

> 2.) While checking for power problems, I noticed that there is an
immediate
> voltage drop from the +5 edge connector pins to their respective contacts
on
> the board edges, which measure 4.89. Should I adjust the +5 pot on the AR
> board to compensate?

I wouldn't touch that pot yet. It sounds like you may have "heat rot" on
the edge connector pins. With the power off, remove the cable harness and
see how corroded the finger contacts are on the CPU board and auxiliary
board. If they're corroded or dull, you can clean them up nice and shiny
with an ordinary pencil eraser.

That may not be the end of your problem, though. Make sure your +5 volts is
nice and clean, with no ripple. Also check the interconnect cable
connectors between the CPU board and Aux board for bad solder joints. That
happens a lot.