Improving transistor heat transfer

From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 16:08:17 EDT

Hello,

Has anyone tried using newer materials to improve the thermal situation on
high-power parts, like deflection transistors? Because of a project at
work, I just discovered these "SilPad" materials that are either like a
rubber or a film which seem to have better characteristics than mica and
heatsink grease. I'm not sure if they would make a difference or not. You
can buy them some of them through Digikey, and you can read all about them
here:

http://www.bergquistcompany.com/

I guess if you can measure a temperature difference between the transistor
body and the chassis, then it might help. I've never done this myself.

Thanks,
Frank