Re: XY monitor...parts?

From: MyPearl <mypearl_at_dds.nl>
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 16:27:35 EST

Well, the most difficult part would be to find another yoke but the
original.

Normally you need:

- Tube (either from an old TV (amplifone design, 90 degrees) or
Wells-Gardner (more difficult tofind, because it is a 100 degree tube. This
only affects the yoke you want to use (Amplifone or WG)
- Yoke. There are significantly different from normal color TV yokes. The
only good option is to find a used one from a dead color XY minotor.
- HV suppy.. Nowadays they are reproduced and can be bought from Arcadeshop,
for example. Sometime an origianl will pop up on eBay. Beware of the
Amplifone HV supplies, they are VERY likely to have the Red Transformer
which is always dead and replacement is $200 (Aka. Wintron Transformer). An
old WG supply will be much more likely to still function. You cannot use a
HV supply designed for a B/W monitor for a color tube.
- Deflection board. Depending on how good you are with electronics, you can
easlily by a defective amplifone board from eBay. Sometimes a WG board will
appear but they are much more sought after and thus more expensive. It seems
Arcadeshop will sell repro's of the WG model very soon. Probably the best
option, together with the HV supply.
- Neck board. Not reproduced so fas as I know. Best shot is to get one from
ebay. If you're really good with electronics,you might salvage and modify
one from a normal color TV.

I probably forgot some things here, it is just a quick writeup of my
experiences getting these kinds of parts.
Others feel free to drop your 2 cents :)

IMHO, The best way to get yourself one is buy a broken vector game or a
defective WG6100 and repair yourself.

Mendel