Re: Use low ESR caps in G08 ?

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 06:46:05 EST

> The G08 FAQ (10/02) mentions upgrades to some caps to have it run less
hot.
> I know the Amplifone FAQ suggests low EST 105 degree caps -- is it safe to
> assume this would be a good idea in the G08 too ?
>
> Since I need to fill out the order for the DG201's and the G08 in my Star
> Trek has never been recapped, I figure it's a good excuse. It
intermittantly
> goes blank and comes back, so I fugre it needs a general overhaul.
Anything
> else worth changeing in a rebuild ? The FAQ has a list of parts and says
you
> don't need to change them all but doesn't mention wich. Perhaps a collum
> saying which should be done in a rebuild ? :-)

I replace all the electrolytic capacitors except the three large filter ones
(expensive and hard to find and least critical). Though I must admit that
I've never seen a G08 failure related to a bad or weak capacitor, due to the
fact that the transistors, resistors, and solder joints fail long before
they do.

If your picture is "flickering" out (dims and brightens as it goes in and
out) vs a full "blinking" out (flashes in and out), check the 10 pin
connector going into the board cage itself; bad connection there can cause
this symptom.

--
Mark Jenison