RE: Some G08 FAQ updates . . .

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 00:46:30 EST

    Actually, because a bipolar transistor is a somewhat symmetrical device,
all bipolar transistors can be reversed (i.e. emitter and collector can be
reversed) to some extent.

    I carefully used the words "somewhat symmetrical" because even though
the emitter and collector are both P-type material (in a PNP transistor like
the MPS-U60) they are doped differently, resulting in a "reverse beta" which
is different (lower) than the normal "forward beta."

    If the reverse beta is high enough, the circuit may still work properly
with the emitter and collector of a bipolar transistor reversed. Therefore,
if the confusion about what terminal was connected to the case of the
transistor resulted from hooking it up with the case connected where the
emitter should be connected, it is very possible that things actually worked
fine.

    However, other than being academically interesting, I can't really think
of too many useful reasons to hook up a BJT backwards.

    Also, any MOS device is perfectly symmetrical, and the source and drain
can always be reversed. Just be careful that the bulk (substrate) remains
connected to the source if that is the way it was originally configured (and
there is a separate connection for the bulk.)

l8r,

Joe

  _____