Re: G05-805 EHT problem

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 13:34:33 EDT

Well, if the pot has been replaced, and you are sure it is good, then
I would look for cold solder joints on pin connectors, bad grounds,
or perhaps a bad capacitor (internal loose connection).

John :-#)#

At 12:08 PM +0100 6/17/04, Phil Morris wrote:
>>>I've lubricated the pots and re-flowed the solder joints on the main
>>>connectors.
>>

>>Phil, lubing the pots and turning them back and forth many times
>>can be OK in a pinch, but you can experience the same problem if
>>the pot id just plain shot. Replace then if at all possible.
>
>Well, pots now replaced but unfortunately the problem remains. :(
>
>So, as before, on power up the image enlarges by about half an inch
>then shrinks about half an inch. This might go on for a few seconds,
>then it might stop. It might then be perfectly fine for ages, then
>all of a sudden the image will grow larger again, then shrink back
>to its original size. Sometimes the growing/shrinking of the image
>is very subtle, sometimes much more noticeable.
>
>What failing component could cause this, seeing as it's not the
>pots, electrolytics (swapped out) or the main diode?
>
>I'm kind of wary of poking around too much with the thing switched
>on as I don't fancy get a large voltage through my arm. :)
>

>Thanks,
>Phil

John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, VideoGames)
www.flippers.com