RE: Asteroids Deluxe in an FPGA

From: ehenciak <ehenciak_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 17:43:10 EDT

I can vouch for Pac Man working :) ... I got it to run on a Virtex II PRO
development kit @ a nearby university. I was thinking about embedding it in
a design @ work as well (just for kicks...the footprint is rather small when
using Virtex II PRO 40s :) ).

The biggest problem with all these FPGA designs is COST!!! The developer is
using a Virtex FPGA which is rather cost prohibitive for the casual user.
However, if Xilinx ever releases their Spartan IIIs in sizes other than
their 50 or 1000, you might be able to get a dev. kit for under $100 that'll
handle these designs. A Spartan III 200 is supposed to be well under $20 in
low qty....the FPGA config PROM will be $3.

Ed