RE: Asteroids cheat (again)

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 13:32:24 EST

> I had also heard that the UFO's were made more difficult in the latter ROM
> version, to stop the UFO hunters. I guess that's not true either. I have
> the later ROMs in my upright, and those UFO's can pick me off at will.

I have to disagree on this one. I was a pretty good Asteroids UFO hunter
back in the day. Then, overnight, you couldn't do it anymore. The owners
of the local game room swore up and down they didn't do anything, but all of
us UFO hunters were literally put out of business that day.

I don't know if this was it, but after I started collecting years later, I
saw some documentation on a mod the op could make to the board (wasn't even
a ROM swap) that would make the game harder in some respect (can't even
remember what it was right now). If I can find it, I'll post it (but I
wouldn't count on me finding it anytime soon). I always wondered if that's
what they did way back then to shut us all down.

Joe