RE: Ballblazer Carts...

From: Alex Yeckley <ayeckley_at_elektronforge.com>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 12:43:15 EST

> I bought a case of these years ago and there's one gotcha with these.
> Desoldering a 40 pin chip is a real pain in the *ss. Maybe
> I'm just not a good desolderer but getting all 40 pins free takes a while.

Yes, it sucks. The problem is that the thru-hole diameters are much smaller
than you'd normally expect for a 40 pin IC. I tried removing them a few
different ways, and eventually settled on standing at the middle of a wave
solder machine and floated them in the bath, then plucked the IC off with an
extractor. I suppose you could do the same thing if you had a big enough
solder pot. You'd still need to clean up the legs of excess solder.

Alex

----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com