Re: Asteroids with no video

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 19:53:32 EDT

Yes, we Americans do need to be warned that coffee is hot, or that eating a
steady diet of McDonalds is not healthy. If I were to write up a vector
repair document that involved coffee, I would probably start off by saying
Coffee is hot, dangerous and even LETHAL!!! That's because somewhere out
there is some idiot that will manage to find a way to send himself to the
hospital because he didn't properly discharge his monitor and he'll have a
lawyer.

I've been zapped plenty of times, by either tubes or charged capacitors. No
big deal. But it's always good practice, in general, to discharge the tube
for several reasons, which have already been discussed here. Personally, I
prefer the slower method of dischararging a monitor with an HV probe and
watch the voltage go down with a digital multimeter. On some monitors
(like the Electrohome G07) you need to discharge them 2 or 3 times.

Matt

> They always makes me laugh, these dreaded HV CAN KILL YOU (vector monitor
> related) warnings :)
> Must be because I'm in Europe and we think that is SOOOOO Us of A. ;).
Here,
> we just take the bugger out and fix it.

I'd

http://www.vectorlist.org