Re: Tempest mathbox? (no actually) problems

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 02:04:49 EST

Well, if anyone is interested, further investigation reveals a few
more interesting oddities. It is NOT the math board, however another
result of this missing information is the self test does NOT display
the changing text when you spin the rotate knob: "Press Fire and
Super Zapper to..." although that section of the test does appear to
work, if i spin the control at random and press the Fire and Super
Z.. together then it will go into such things as erase, or colour
test, etc.

So, now that I know it is in the main board I put the Fluke 9010A
onto it, after substituting all the Eproms with a second board.
Vector and CPU RAM appear to be good in the short test. Hmmm. Time to
go home though (5:30PM and we have guests).

Oh, and another oddity - when you get the attract mode growing
TEMPEST name, it prints four (each one larger than the next), then
misses what appears to be one "TEMPEST", then continues growing for
another four, misses one, till the screen finishes with the largest
one - missing the fourth smaller one than the largest (or is it the
fifth, it does happen rather quickly).

Very curious. Perhaps I shall take a picture of the screen at that
point for the service records.

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com