Re: Discoloration on monitor after moving Space Duel upright

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 12:24:09 EDT

Hi Tim,

Somehow your metal control panel has become magnetized. Or you
changed the orientation of the game relative to the earth's magnetic
field (turned from facing east/west to north/south). The monitors
built-in degaussing coil is trying to fix the problem - but it only
really affects the picture tube.

A simple home demagnetizer is the ubiquitous Soldering Gun! You know
one of those nasty soldering things that you are NEVER to bring near
printed circuit boards for fear of burning huge holes through them?
Regardless, the gun produces an alternating magnetic field that will
work fairly well at degaussing metal.

Or you could go out and get a proper degaussing coil from a TV repair
supply shop.

Wave either over the control panel and then (while the degaussing
device is still on) move it about 4 feet (1 meter) away before
turning off the device.

If you turn it on/off too close to the monitor you run the risk of
magnetizing something due to the surge EMF field that is produced
when powered up/down for electromagnetic devices. Vacuum cleaners are
notorious for knocking purity out on TVs (and video games)!

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com