Re: Low HV on Dim WG6100

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 13:21:18 EDT

Not a good idea to muck around adjusting HV without a HV probe. You
don't want to run the risk of soft x-rays (around 30KV isn't it?)
being emitted out the rear of the tube. the front of the tube has 1"
of lead glass so the viewer is safe enough...they are cheap enough on
eBay.

Start with checking the capacitors, do any look overheated? I use the
plastic film coverage as an indicator of impending capacitor failure.
If the film does not cover 33% of the top of the capacitor then that
capacitor is suspect and should be replaced. If you look closely you
can see the shadow of the original film on failing capacitors - time
to replace!

Then check input B+ from the inside of the HV unit (to get around bad
connections). Is it correct? Bad connections?

It is very unlikely that the HV transformer is failing, they go
catastrophically, not gradually. Blurp, or bang, or crack!

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com