Re: Re: Star Wars Self-Test

From: Mark Hooks <markhooks_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 18:11:49 EDT

Paul,

I just finished messing with a couple of Missile Command boards and they had
a couple of bad 74LS244s. My experience is that you typically drop the
pulsing data signal entirely. Most often they are stuck low.

If you use lots of flux and solder wick you can gingerly remove them intact.
I desolder and then use an awl to break the remaining solder bond. Then
carefully slip a jewelers screwdriver underneath and pry. Be gentle just in
case something is stuck. Go slowly and carefully.

Mark Hooks