Omega Race repair

From: simon <simonjhanlon_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 18:07:04 EDT

Today I thought it was time I fixed my Omega Race, I have a few spare boards for it, most with some acid damaged. I found one that was fairly clean and replaced the 2 ram sockets near the battery. On power up the + and - 15v regulators were getting too hot to touch, I checked between the 2 and had a reading of 35 ohms between the-15 and 15v lines. I suspected one of the Op amps or a DAC was to blame. After pulling 3 of the 4 Op amps I found the bad one,which was reading 35 ohms across pin 4 and pin 8. I fitted a new one and tried again, this time I had video and in test screen a few ram chips failing. After replacing a few bad Rams the board passed self test and now plays fine. Thought this may help someone with a dead omega race one day.