WG6401 D40P3 neck board transistor parts source

From: Joseph Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 09:34:48 EST

I am posting this pretty much for archive purposes. After years of just sitting there, I've really had the bug to get my Aztarac going. A friend of mine working on the WG19K6401 monitor found two bad transistors on the neck board, Q500 & Q501. The label was not readable on the actual transistor. The manual listed them as "Transistor D40P3 (NPN)".

  Our usual searches could find nothing on this. I called up Wells Gardner (they are actually pretty friendly people) and talked to one of the long time techs. Since they've moved locations, they've tossed a lot of the old documentation, but he did find something that identified them as a GE part. Not much, but turned out to be just enough additional info.

  After searching around, I found a couple sources for them, Direct Components Inc in Florida, 813-835-3883, $6 each, with a minimum order of $25, and JMS Electronics in North Hollywood CA, 818-764-3303. They had them for $3.50 each with a $50 minimum, but I happened to have a friend out there and JMS told me that if someone picked up in person, paid with cash (exact change) he'd sell them for $2.50 each with no minimum. My buddy picked them up the same day and mailed them to me. Popped them in and now I have another hurdle on the Aztarac crossed off. I found one other source, I can't even remember who right now, but their price was $10.50 each. Easy to see why I forgot them.

  FYI, an NTE171 is listed as a replacement (which is readily available), and I suppose it would probably work, but after looking at the specifications for each, we decided they were different enough to go with the original.

  Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
  joemagiera@ameritech.net