Re: Interesting Asteroids 19V2000 Problem

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 14:09:01 EDT

At 6:40 PM -0700 5/16/07, Malcolm Mackenzie wrote:
>Hi all. I have an Asteroids that I brought back from the dead that
>has an interesting video problem. I wonder if any of you have seen
>it before. After the game warms up the video seems to pulse or
>momentarily collapse. It then recovers to its former size. Doesn't
>seem to be related to what the game output is and I tested the game
>with another monitor and it appears the board is putting out good
>video. I suspected the HV Diode, but replacing it did not fix the
>problem. I've already recapped the HV and the deflection boards as
>well as replacing all the big transistors and two of the deflection
>transistors on the deflection board. Anyone have an idea what might
>be doing this? Dying tube? Dying HV transformer? -Malcolm

We had an interesting problem that sounds similar to your problem.
What I had was an Asteroids Deluxe board that worked fine in the
Atari test fixture (Big Orange) but when installed in the upright
cabinet the screen would distort on one axis with the image shrinking
and growing somewhat at random. Turned out to be the X-Axis 4016 CMOS
switch (inverter) - found it by flicking the switches on the test
fixture that emulated the settings for cocktail or cabaret.

http://www.flippers.com/images/AtariAsteroidsDeluxe4106Distortion.JPG (1.2mb)

So, check the image on a 'scope while in the cabinet - and suspect the 4016s!

John :-#)#