Re: Re[2]: Re: Battlezone....almost there....

From: COLIN DAVIES <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 12:38:27 EDT

Not sure about the bleep during attract, BUT I did have a problem on the mini with my other board when I first got it up and running. Iirc, I was getting some noise from time to time during attract (sounded like a crackly explosion), but I cant remember if I fixed it or just swapped the mathbox pcb over. The sound circuitry is pretty simple anyway, so it might be a mute line or something thats causing the problem.

  With the mathbox fault, you will get some very strange looking tanks indeed, You'll certainly know when this happens for sure !!!

  In Diagnostics, Look for a H or an L on the screen, this indicates a mathbox problem - As Peter says, check the cable (and the connectors - might need a clean or a reflow with fresh solder).

  My High score is about 230,000 on factory settings, which I thought was good until I saw the twin galaxies ones. I can get about 80,000 most of the time.

  Good Luck,
  Colin

andre <livnfree_can@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Yes you are right, there are actually 2 of the
original eproms that are still used. I thought all
were replaced..instructions sorta made it sound that
way. Just reflashed a couple and it works now...just
need to get the vectors aligned a little better so the
mountains are not floating above the horizon but fully
playable...man I still love this game...

But I am very glad to finally get this going as the
original pcb was the only one I had not solved (other
than the pile of spares I have been stockpiling)
waiting for the comparator to arrive in the mail.

Does your BZone beep from the radar in attract? That
seems to be the only attract sound but its very
faint...I don't recall this from the arcade days..

Do you know what sort of effect a bad slice processor
would manifest itself as? Either this game or tempest?